Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Super Mom to the rescue!

This past weekend was jam-packed with celebrations all hosted by my mother, and she did one (pardon my language) hell of a job throwing them all if I do say so myself! The woman knows what a good party is, it's as simple as that, and so she always does a great job brainstorming ideas and organizing shindigs even though it causes her blood pressure to sky rocket. She's pretty much like my party planning super hero. And so, in honor of all her hard work, here's a quick recap of my weekend and all that my mom had to do in order to make things run smoothly:

Saturday afternoon from 2-4 pm was my sister's confirmation party at my parent's house. Now, for those of you who have never been inside my house, it is not big by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, it's pretty small. My mom spent the whole last week deep cleaning the entire house and rearranging things in preparation for 40-50 people to cram in and mess it all up again. She also planned out and prepared a fabulous menu of snack foods to be served during the two hour party. There were deviled eggs, cream cheese pinwheels, chips and dips, bacon-wrapped cocktail weenies, and more! Plus, there was even a delicious and equally gorgeous Kathy Smith cake. Mmmm my mouth is watering just remembering it all!


The party was a great success. Both my mom and dad's extended family were there along with a few of my sister's friends and their families as well. And the million times we repositioned the kitchen table was well worth it because we manged to fit 40+ people in the lower level all at one time. It was a small miracle. There was, of course, leftover food because mom always over-estimates how much people will eat... but it's better than running out. Plus, that meant the guys would have food to munch on for the Viking's game the next day. So it all worked out...

After everyone finally cleared out Saturday evening, we had to clean up the house quick and head on down to good ol' Cafe Zona Rosa to make final preparations for the Halloween party down there. Yes, on top of both the confirmation and baby shower, my mom managed to fit in a costume party at her restaurant too. I told you she's the best! She even had an adult pinata filled with "adult" prizes like scratch-offs, mini alcohol bottles, cigarettes, etc. And let me just say... watching intoxicated adults in costumes smash open a pinata and fight over the prizes might very well be some of the best free entertainment there is.

Are you tired yet? Yeah, we were by this point too. But there was still one big day left in the weekend!



Sunday morning we had my sister's confirmation service at church and then immediately went over to Zona's for my baby shower. Talk about a great party... my mom, my girlfriends, and Kathy Smith did a phenomenal job decorating and planning. (Thanks again girls!) It was perfect.






We had games, good food, and lots of giggles throughout the afternoon. It was great to see all the women who came and both Baby Bogart and I were showered with love, encouraging words, and tons of gifts once again.




Ryan joked after spending over half an hour hauling our loot into the house that he'd have to spank Brock as soon as he was born because he's spoiled already! :)





I really am beyond blessed to have so many great friends though. On top of throwing me the perfect baby shower, the girls also got all the employees at Zona Rosa to pitch in and buy us our stroller and carseat. How lucky are we?? This kid is going to be smothered with love by all his "aunties".. and I'm so grateful for that.





So there ya go, folks! That was my hectic weekend in a nutshell. Sunday evening my whole family fought to stay awake past 7 pm because all four of us were exhausted. My poor mom did end up hanging up her Super Mom cape and going to bed right around 8:00 because she couldn't keep her eyes open anymore, and I can't say that I blame her. The woman did a great job hosting two very important events for her daughters this weekend. I hope she can teach me her party planning ways so I can do the same for my children over the years. Up first will be Brock's baptism! At least I have a couple months to recover from all the parties this weekend before I have to plan that... oofta.

Happy Hump Day Everyone!

- The Bogarts




No comments:

Post a Comment