Friday, September 3, 2010

Themed parties are best enjoyed in moderation

Here's an annoying thing about Sweden...

Their parties/dinners are always required to have a theme of sorts... or so it seems.  And they expect you to go out and buy costumes and actually dress up for them, too. They can't ever just have a dinner that is formal, or informal, or even normal for that matter.

The two orientation dinners that have taken place thus far have had a theme. One was a "Barbarian" theme and  the other was a "Toga" theme. Tonight's Welcome Dinner for the exchange students is no different... it is "Fairy Tale" themed. I just don't get it.

 Last weekend when they had the Welcome Dinner for all of the new incoming Swedish students, it was just a formal dinner that people wore ties and dresses for. That's fine. I brought along a dress and some dress clothes. I would like to get dressed up and have a nice meal with my friends. I would not, however, like to dress up like a princess or a witch or a dwarf.  Especially when I'm the one paying for the food I'm eating.

I just want to wear a dress and curl my hair. Is that too much to ask?

As I'm sure you can guess, I will not be dressing up in a costume for the dinner tonight. I will be wearing a dress that I brought along and curling my hair and looking pretty. I thought about making an aluminum foil princess tiara just to halfway play along. But I don't want to. And they can't make me.

I'm sure that all of the Phosares think that us Americans are just a bunch of party poopers who don't like to have fun. But if their idea of fun is playing gross drinking games, getting naked in a field when I can see my breath, and dressing up like a fairy tale character when I won't even get candy for it... then I guess I am.

I just had the best idea ever!Perhaps my lack of costume tonight will be my Party Pooper costume. I'll even go around singing the song!

"Every party has a pooper...
Thats why we invited you....
Party Pooper! Party Pooper!"

It's a real song, I promise. It's from the movie Father of the Bride II.

Click Here to See the Clip!!!

Anyways... Now that I officially will have that song stuck in my head the rest of the night... I'm going to go get ready for the Welcome Dinner.

-Peace, Love, and Swedish Meatballs
The Bogarts!!!

1 comment:

  1. I don't understand what could possibly be annoying about a Barbarian themed dinner :D

    ReplyDelete