Monday, September 6, 2010

Welcome Dinner Low-Down

Soooo the last time I posted, I was kind of hating on the idea of our Fairy Tale themed Welcome Dinner... Okay, so I was pretty much totally bashing the idea. And now I feel guilty. I would like to, at this time, publicly retract any and all negative comments I made prior to the wonderful evening we had Friday.

The Welcome Dinner for exchange students was probably one of the most worthwhile events we have participated in during our time here at Lulea Technical University. Although it was a little expensive, the food was well prepared and delicious and the combination of great food and excellent entertainment was well worth the money we paid to be there. I didn't even feel out of place for not dressing up, because a good portion of the group (probably 40%) felt the same way that I did about wasting money on a costume. It was definitely a win-win situation: we didn't waste the money to get a costume, but we still got to laugh at the costumes of our fellow classmates.





Some people got really into dressing up. There was a guy that dyed his whole body blue to be a Smurf and one guy dyed his face green to be Shrek.





The dinner took place at STUK. We had a section of the nightclub blocked off with our own private bar and stage for the evening.











No one out of our group of friends decided to spend money on a costume. Although Shannon did get creative and attempt to look like the witch from Sleeping Beauty. She wore an all black dress and a black hoodie and then carried around an apple all night. I think her pseudo-costume turned out pretty darn good, don't you?








As much as I enjoyed Shannon's pseudo-costume, my favorite outfit of the night was Tyler's. He doesn't really resemble a Fairy Tale character so much, but the combination of his mustache and bow tie while drinking wine at dinner made him look like a refined old man. It made me laugh. Especially since he wasn't even trying to dress up. He just wore his regular clothes.

Did I mention that his facial hair actually just grows naturally that way too? He hasn't shaved in weeks... I'm jealous of his facial hair growing abilities. Haha what I meant to say is that Ryan is jealous of his facial hair growing abilities.








The evening began in true European form: with the Phosares doing a strip tease for the opening performance.






No, they didn't get completely naked.... but they did get up on stage and do a pretend strip tease as they took off their hats, sunglasses, and jumpsuits.








It was really weird to actually see their faces! After all, we spent the first two weeks knowing them as our leaders in brightly colored overalls, hats, and sunglasses that nearly covered their faces. Who knew they were actual people?!





Throughout the night we were served a delicious three course dinner and we watched some performances in between eating. There was a variety of skits, dances, guitar playing, and singing. But my absolute, hands-down, favorite performance of the evening was done by the people who volunteer at the International Office. They did a skit with scenes from.... drum roll please......








MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL!!!










I honestly almost peed my pants when they came galloping in on fake horses with coconuts. It made me wish that I had wore my "I'm not dead yet" shirt to dinner that I got from the Spamalot play. Yes, I have that here with me in Sweden.







The best part of it all, I think, was their broken English when they were trying to re-enact the scenes. It's funny enough listening to an argument about what sort of swallow could have possibly carried a coconut... but then you add in the fact that English is their second language.... it was magical.





Overall, like I said, it was probably the most exciting thing that we've participated in thus far at LTU. It might be slightly pathetic that strawberry cheesecake and Monty Python can bring me such joy in life, but I have learned to appreciate the little things that remind me of home when I'm thousands of miles away and usually completely out of my element here. A good dessert and a good laugh is all it takes sometimes.

Peace, Love, and Swedish Meatballs!
-The Bogarts

1 comment:

  1. So many good memories with that film. Sounds like another fantastish day in the life of the Bogarts!

    I will be so much closer to you in a manner of hours

    ReplyDelete