Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My little eskimo

Today is a sunny, but mighty cold morning in the Twin Ports area. I do believe that the temperature on my phone display showed 30 degrees this morning when I woke up. And as much as I would like to believe that was just my eyes playing tricks on me in the early morning, it was also mighty chilly in our apartment when I kicked off the covers. I can tell it's almost November when I need to rush to put on socks as soon as I get out of bed... but I guess I don't really mind. My husband, on the other hand, likes to think I'm trying to "freeze him to death".

Ryan is kind of a wimp when it comes to a cold house I've come to realize. It's incredibly comical to me because I'm the one who grew up in a house that was heated by numerous fireplaces and was kept around 76 degrees in the winter. I'm also the one who loves warm weather. But it's not because he doesn't like the cold that he complains, it's only because he likes to walk around in shorts and a t-shirt year round... and that doesn't work so well when it's only 64-66 degrees in our apartment.

See here's the problem boys and girls: Heat ain't free and money don't grow on trees! Unless, of course, you're heating with an amazing wood-burning Wilkening Fireplace... and then your heat literally comes from a tree. (Sorry, I don't know if that follows as logically as I wanted it to, but I just had to put a plug in for my dad's stellar business in Walker, MN while I was on the subject of home heating.) I can't wait until we own our own place and I can have multiple fireplaces...

Anyways, back to what I was trying to say: heat is expensive. Aside from our rent, it will be the largest bill we pay throughout the winter months. Especially because we will have a newborn in less than two months during the coldest part of the year. (Poor planning on our part, I know.) So my theory is this: Ryan will just have to suffer through the next 7 weeks of me "freezing him to death" so we can afford to keep the house warmer for the rest of the winter when the baby is here. Makes sense, right? I thought so. Keep our heating bill low now so we can afford to pay through the nose to keep the apartment above 70 when it's -20 without windchill outside.

Well, it's either that or I'll have to keep Baby Bogart bundled up like a little eskimo at all times. We do have a nice little snowsuit thing for him anyway. Which I guess could be pretty darn cute, but I'm thinking it would probably get old awfully fast with all the diaper changes and what not...  and so we'll freeze until December! Or at least Ryan will - I'm my own little heater these days. :)

Happy Hump Day! I'm off to spend the rest of my day cleaning and baking..

Love,
Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment